Sunday 28 March 2021

Spring it on!

crooked tree with lilac blossom in wood against cloudy sky

The clocks have just gone forward, daffodils are shooting up everywhere and the days are finally getting longer. Hooray!

In winter, we can get bogged down in our routines, bracing ourselves against the weather, and - after Christmas - just getting through the daily grind. I'd never appreciated the phrase 'bleak mid-winter', but I think the lockdown has really brought home its meaning this year. Staying ok can be a daily effort. 

Spring makes me excited about the future. 

There's something fresh and inspiring in the air.

It's a new chapter.

I always return to blogging to mark the change of seasons and the passing of time. This corner of the internet has been - for nearly a decade - a constant of my joy and creativity, and generally an outlet for my chit chat.

So, in the spirit of spreading good vibes and optimism, here's a list of 5 things I'm most excited about this spring.

Easing restrictions

Who would have thought this time last year we'd still be in lockdown? I wasn't naïve though. I would 'joke' that I'd be reunited with friends for a Christmas night out. Then, when that was impossible, I thought March promised hope of brighter times. And thankfully, I was in the right ballpark.

For Scotland, the end of April and mid-May are the 2 key times when restrictions are hopefully going to be eased. It's slightly different elsewhere in the UK (maybe a bit earlier?- idk I can barely keep up with the rules here). But we're all looking forward to a pinch of normality in spring and summer. 

After months of exercise and staying home being the only activities on the agenda, I'm going to appreciate each and every thing as we're allowed to do it.

I'm most looking forward to:

  • having a meal out in my fave Italian restaurant
  • seeing my friends - including secret Santa 2020 distribution
  • hitting the charity shops
  • browsing in normal shops for inspo - I'm still living that sustainable life
  • wearing something that isn't stretchy
  • getting new white trainer socks - my current ones are in a sorry state
  • going to see a show
  • going to the pub
I've also found myself missing, or wanting to try, things I'd never have appreciated before like:
  • getting my nails done professionally
  • wandering round a museum
  • reading in a library
  • having days out or staycations around Scotland
  • joining clubs or group activities like a choir or a zumba class
  • seeing a comedian live
  • going swimming

Weather

Longer days, light nights and a bit of sun make a massive difference to my mood. I can:
  • run when it isn't pitch black, slidey or pouring
  • have more long walks in the evenings
  • take good photos
  • remove my usual 5 jillion layers
  • wake up in the light
  • have my miracle morning in natural light
Plus, my plants have already started growing again. At the moment we all have the painful 'so what have you been up to' or 'any plans for the weekend' convos which have inevitable 'nothing' and 'not really, maybe a walk' answers. The other day I replied 'watching my plant grow' (laugh and cry).

Easter

It's great people can now go to places of worship for what is an important time for many religions.

But I'm just going to say the thing you're not supposed to say. It's the Easter equivalent of saying Christmas is all about the presents.

I am absolutely buzzing for the chocolate.

Now that I exercise, I appreciate treats more than ever. And is it just me, or is Easter chocolate way superior to any other time of year? Mini eggs, cadbury easter eggs, cream eggs, lindt bunnies, malteaster bunnies and mini egg chocolate bars. It's top tier treat season (eek - the word tier is kinda triggering now eh?)

Nature

Flowers, flowers, flowers! What hayfever?

Last year I loved noticing the change of seasons as I walked around my area. My camera roll (and insta feed) was awash with pastel colours and pink flowers.

This year I'm looking forward to seeing more blossom and nature on my walks and runs. There's a lavender bush on my route that I used to smell every day going past. Over winter, it was trimmed and didn't have the beautiful scent anymore. I'm looking forward to it blooming again. It's the little things.

The photo for this post isn't of the aesthetic calibre of my nature photos last year. But, it represents where we are at the moment. The weather can't quite make up it's mind, but there are hints of spring all around.

Yoga

In the absence of in-person yoga classes, I started doing a lot of Yoga With Adriene on Youtube last year.

I discovered that she does a free themed calendar of yoga each month. I've been doing MOVE in March and it's been fantastic. It doesn't take a lot of time, but it makes me feel centred and peaceful. It also totally sorts my body out after I've been running or doing a HIIT workout.

Yoga is very linked with the seasons and nature. In winter, it's all about replenishing your body and taking stock. 

I'm excited to start having yoga practices more focussed on growth, renewal and energy. 

My mum and I are also doing virtual yoga once a week with our usual yoga teacher - so I'm gonna be zenned out my head.


What are you most looking forward to in the coming weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment