Saturday 10 October 2020

My Couch to 5K Experience

lots of trees around footpath in park, leaves changing colour

Three weeks ago I completed my final run of Coach to 5K. I could not be prouder, or more shook.

To give you a bit of background - I've literally never been a runner. Even when I was small. And let's not even go into the absolute tragedy I'd be if I had to run for the train in the morning. At the beginning of lockdown I made an extremely optimistic running playlist and tried to run around the block but didn't even make it that far. 

Couch to 5K is something I've heard people talking about for years. It's like when more than one person recommends a TV show - you know you'll like it. So one day I decided to just try it.

What's Couch to 5K?

For those of you who don't know, the Couch to 5K app is a running programme which takes you from couch potato to being able to run 5K in 30 minutes, 3 times a week. It takes 9 weeks. 

You start super manageable, alternating between 1 minute walking and 1 minute running then build up. You pick a coach at the beginning who comes in every few minutes to guide you through what you're doing, telling you when to run and when to walk, and giving some words of encouragement along the way. There's a few sports personalities to choose from. I chose Sanjeev Kohli aka Naveed from Still Game and would highly recommend. He's great - encouraging and reassuring but not overbearing or annoying.

How did I stick to it?


It was just the right amount of tough

Listen, I wouldn't have continued with Couch to 5K if I felt horrific before/during/after. It's true what they say about a runner's buzz. I feel so proud of myself every time I complete a run. 

I won't lie and say it was easy and I absolutely breezed through it. Sometimes it was a struggle (more mental than physical) to keep going to the end. But I didn't feel sick or ill or sore because my body was building up gradually. The people who created it obviously took the time to work out the optimum intervals and time periods to increase ability without keeling over.

I think the reason it's effective is because it's manageable. You need to take a day's rest between runs and you're never asked to do more than you're capable of. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you are, as long as you keep going. You can even repeat weeks to make sure you're comfortable. It's all about working with your body, not punishing it.

Habit bundling

The difficulty with any new habit is trying to get it to stick. I think my trick was adding this on to a routine I already had. I've been going out long walks pretty much every day since March. Now, I just incorporate running to the beginning of that. I'm already leaving the house, wearing my exercise clothes and wearing headphones. It's not a massive change, just a wee addition.

Great tunes

It turns out the playlist I created had it's time to shine too. One thing which adds a bit of fun and distraction during runs is great music. The cheesier and more poppy the better. I'm talking S Club, Arianna, hits from summer 2014, Grease Megamix, clubland. If it feels like you're running in a movie - you're doing it right. I even have Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves and it's iconic.

Why does everyone love Couch to 5K?

Whenever I mentioned I was doing Couch to 5K to people, they were so enthusiastic. It turned out lots of people I knew were also doing it too.

It was also really lovely how supportive people were. Every time I mentioned I was keeping it up, my friends and family would be really happy for me. They were probably bowled over too (see above re tragedy and lifetime non-runner).

Going into Couch to 5K, I was worried I'd get sore knees. All my life whenever I've run I get a little twinge. But I've had absolutely no pains to speak of. In fact, my knees feel stronger because it's been a gradual build up.

The programme gets harder every week but it doesn't seem like it because you get better. So you're pushing yourself more or less the same amount each week.


Results of Couch to 5K

There are so many mental and physical benefits of doing Couch to 5K, like:
  • I feel amazing and super proud of myself
  • I now officially feel like a runner
  • I feel like those swish people in movies who jog in Central Park
  • I am much fitter
  • I enjoy and appreciate treats more
  • It's a super quick and easy way to get in a good amount of exercise
I have also probably lost weight, but I don't weigh myself so I don't know for sure. I've also been getting into exercise more generally over the last few months so it's probably down to  a combination of other things as well as running. If you're interested you can read my post Great Home Workouts For People Who Hate Exercise.

Now what?

Well fellas, I was a bit concerned that once I had finished the programme I might loose momentum. Turns out, the habit is fixed and I've been continuing to go out my 3 runs each week. Even better, it's still getting easier every run.

I had planned to just keep listening to the final Couch to 5K commentary forevermore. But, because I know my route now I can just run with my music and don't need it.

Starting in summer was probably a good idea because it reduced the chance of getting soaked (squelchy shoes eugh) and I've got to know my route in the light. But, if I can still fit in my run when it's pouring, or when I've had a 2 day hangover, both of which I've done already, I can deal with it getting colder and darker. When I'm out running I actually pay attention to nature and good views and the transition of the seasons, so I'll be keeping it up for the rest of the year - and hopefully the rest of my life.

Tell me in the comments if you've ever done Couch to 5K - or if you'd like to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment