Monday 7 September 2020

Autumn is in the air

salt lamp next to two small candles and a cup of tea in white mug on top of notebook

Usually when this time of year rolls around I'm just 

not ready 

to say goodbye to summer. 

I'm a summer baby and love nothing more than long days and light nights. This hasn't been a 'usually' kind of year though.

Even though it seems like we've been in Julember for months, I also feel like spring and summer have had their time. I've been out walks (and now runs!) almost every day since April, so for the first time ever I've noticed nature and the transition through the seasons. Now the leaves and pine cones are starting to fall and I couldn't be more excited.

leaves on a tree against the blue sky, some green some beginning to turn orange

Things I'm excited about this autumn

Pumpkin spiced lattes

I'm fully embracing my inner basic bitch and saying 'I neeed a pumpkin spiced latte!'

I first tried a pumpkin spiced latte when I was in uni and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Last year though on the way to work they were giving out free samples and since then I've been hooked. The spice. The warm glow. It's a hug in a drink. 

Just as soon as they're available... come on @StabucksUK where's the psls at?!

Noticing nature

If you follow me on insta you'll know just how much I've loved capturing nature this year. I think I've pretty much snapped every blossom tree and flower within a 10 mile radius. 

I'm excited to continue my nature walks this season - with significantly more layers. 

Has anyone else discovered their local area by walking for the first time this year?

Halloween

I'm certainly not a fan of scary films or gore generally, but over the last few years I've loved Halloween. I used to be obsessed with makeup (as you'll see from the archives). These days, I don't get the chance to experiment with different looks as much as I'd like. I guess in your twenties you've found the products you like and roll with it. Halloween is a whole different ball game though. I go wild with different makeup looks. In recent years I've been half werewolf half little red riding hood. I've also been the night sky.

Making my Halloween look all about the makeup means I don't need to waste money or time finding a cheap costume I'll never wear again. I can just improvise with what I have or make something.

Over the next few weeks I'll be trawling Pinterest for inspiration. If wild and wonderful Halloween makeup is up your street, check out my Halloween board

TV

Now production can recommence, I'm looking forward to the rest of 2020 being filled with great TV. I'm hoping for some thrilling dramas, preferably on BBC so I can watch on iPlayer for free with no ads. I wonder if we'll be even be lucky enough to get Line of Duty season 6 by the end of the year. 

If you missed it, you can read my top iPlayer recommendations from earlier this year. Since then I've found more fantastic shows so I might even do another one of those posts.

Getting back into reading

If you didn't know from the last 24238 times I've mentioned it, I've been struggling to read consistently this year. I'll go a few weeks not reading, then eventually get into a book and read it in one sitting. 

With the nights drawing in, it'll be the perfect time to get back into reading. I've also got the most brilliant TBR pile ever to entice me in.

Cosiness

My baseline is freezing all the time. Seriously. Remember the heat wave in May? If I was sitting down at my computer or reading, I'd be wearing 4 layers. So it's not so much that I'm excited to wrap up, rather I'm excited for it to be socially acceptable to wrap up.

Hello thermals, blankets, chunky scarves and boots!

I've got my scented candles and salt lamp at the ready to make my space peak cosiness.


Planning for Christmas

Dare I say it? I'm excited for Christmas already. And why not? It's a time of joy, food, being cosy, Santa, music, giving and general merriment. I've beat my own record for earliness this year. I'm knocking September 2016 where I played Christmas songs in the car on route to uni off the podium.

I've always wanted to be a great gift giver and this year I've got plenty of time to plan unique, meaningful, great value presents.

This year I've created a spreadsheet for all my Christmas presents. I never thought I'd be one to get excited over excel - far from it - but ho ho ho! Here I am having a quarter life crisis. It's the most awesome spreadsheet ever - colour coded, Christmas fonts, automatic budget calculations. You name it I've got it.

I guess with this year being so topsy turvey it's also nice to have something fixed to look forward to. 

Have you got that fall feeling? What are you most looking forward to about the season?

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely post, you seem so enthusiastic! I'm definitely looking forward to coziness too! The Christmas gift spreadsheet is a good idea!! :)

    http://www.makeupisdelish.com/

    ReplyDelete