Monday 20 April 2020

5 TV Shows You Should Watch on BBC iPlayer

acer laptop with iPlayer Most Popular page opened on pink quilt with pink and gold cushion behind and velvet heart on left
I've never been a big one for Netflix because 1) it costs and 2) I literally can't be trusted not to binge 12 hours of shows every day. BBC iPlayer have really upped their game in the last couple of years and it's a great free alternative to Amazon Prime, NOW TV and Netflix. With classic series from Miranda and Two Pints of Lager to Doctor Who available, there's endless hours of entertainment. While I am making a conscious effort not to spend the entire lockdown glued to the TV, it's something I will do for an hour or two a day, perhaps even while doing something else like crocheting or journalling.

There's nothing better than stumbling upon a brilliant new TV show, so I've rounded up my top 5 must-watch list.

Recommendations on BBC iPlayer for 2020


The Nest

The final episode of this 5-part series aired just last week, so I partly envy those of you who can now go on and watch the whole lot rather than waiting a week for the next instalment.

The Nest follows the story of a rich couple, Dan and Emily, who are desperate to have a child. They find an unlikely surrogate in Kaya, a troubled young girl who has just left the care system and is determined to make a success of her life. The series unravels the mystery of why Kaya was in care and how Dan managed to go from scheme boy to owning half of Glasgow. That's the other fantastic part of this show. It's set in Glasgow. I absolutely loved the beautiful aerial shots of my city, the Merchant City sets and the incredible lochside mansion house.

Gripping, emotional, unbelievable.

The Capture

I watched The Capture when it dropped last year and I don't think it got anywhere near the amount of praise and hype it deserved. I therefore take any opportunity to convince anyone to watch it.

Shaun Emery, a British soldier, has his murder conviction overturned at retrial because his brilliant barrister proves the evidence which convicted him was faulty. He is released and, after a night of celebration, his barrister Hannah is caught on CCTV being brutally attacked and kidnapped... by Shaun. But he doesn't remember it like that. Meanwhile, ambitious Detective Rachel Carey starts with the Homicide and Serious Crimes Unit and is determined to prove herself.

The six part thriller follows Shaun as he becomes entangled in the multi-layer nets of police, secret service and other actors. Shaun, Rachel and we, the audience, search for the truth about what happened to Hannah, and what is at stake by her disappearance.

Wonderful, addictive, brutal.



Killing Eve

Most of you will probably have watched this as it's probably the biggest hit of the last couple of years. It definitely deserves a mention though, particularly as the first episode of series 3 has just landed and I'm currently in the process of rewatching the lot.

Killing Eve follows two women: Eve, an MI6 detective and Villanelle, the psychopath serial killer Eve is pursuing. They could not be more different, or more alike. It's psychological warfare which leaves a bloody trail in its wake. Interspersed with the horror is the kind of dry wit that only Phoebe Waller-Bridge can carry off. Villanelle is fascinating. Eve is understandably obsessed. 
If you haven't watched this, be warned. You won't be able to stop until you've seen it all.

Absurd, intriguing, brilliant.


Jesy Nelson: Odd One Out


Although I might be a little older than their key demographic, I've always been a big fan of Little Mix. I also may or may not have also joined thousands of excitable 5 year olds and their mums at the most recent gig at the Hydro (like a total wine auntie who had a rare time).

Jesy was my favourite member of Little Mix back when they were on The X Factor and I think most people were aware of the abuse she received online for her looks. However, in this one-off documentary she opens up about the extend to which she was trolled for years and how severely it impacted her mental health. She investigates the devastating impact of trolling on young people in our society and we follow her journey through a very dark time.

This is an eye-opening, shocking documentary which I believe everyone should see. It made me thankful for the fact that even though I've grown up with technology and the internet, I never had to deal with the ubiquity and relentlessness of what teenagers face today. From my late teens I consciously carved areas of positivity to exist on the internet such as my blog, and minimised the time I spend on more toxic areas. The documentary was made even more poignant by the recent tragic death of Caroline Flack. In my opinion, there will be a move away from social media in years to come, or at least a change in how we think of and use it. Until then, the likes of Jesy's documentary is so important in highlighting the darker side of social media and its potential impact on well-being.

Thought-provoking, gut-wrenching, empowering.


Gavin & Stacey

I don't care how many times I've seen it already, Gavin & Stacey never fails to make me laugh out loud. It's a perfect escape to normality in this weird and wild time. 



In case you've been living under a rock for the past 10 years, Gavin & Stacey follows the story of Essex boy Gavin and Welsh girl Stacey and their whirlwind romance. Gavin & Stacey are probably the least entertaining characters though. The real entertainment comes from their respective families who are brilliant and hilarious. The episodes are short and there are only 3 series with 6 episodes each, so it's not a massive undertaking if you're thinking of watching for the first time. It's a feel-good show which is worth watching even for the quote factor.

Homely, hilarious, iconic.

With such a rich library to choose from, my to-watch list is already pretty full. Next on the agenda for me is Line of Duty, Sherlock and Call the Midwife. BBC iPlayer have also recently added all Torchwood episodes. It ended up trending on Twitter because fans were so delighted, even though it hasn't aired in years. I haven't seen it since then but I'm very much looking forward to reliving my sci-fi geek youth and rewatching.

Let me know in the comments your top BBC iPlayer recommendations.

4 comments:

  1. Netflix is free if you use your friend's account ;) hahaha lately I've been obsessed with Hayu, a reality TV streaming service. I'm not sure if it's available where you are!

    http://www.makeupisdelish.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol maybe I should find someone to piggy back from! I think we do get it actually I've seen it advertised, thanks for the recommendation lovely xx

      Delete