Thursday 23 April 2020

Book Wishlist 2020

multi-coloured covers of the books listed below
Having a large To Be Read (TBR) pile seems to be a common trait among book lovers. I'm totally overcome with excitement whenever I enter a book shop or, as is more often the case, a charity shop or jumble sale. I simply buy books faster than I can read them and this has been the case for years.

As a result, I currently have about 15 books I haven't read yet. In an effort to reduce the pile and save money, I'm not buying any more books until my TBR pile has reduced considerably. While we're in lockdown, I'm trying to read as much as I can. However, I'm finding it more difficult than usual to concentrate on a book. Once I'm 100 pages in I'm fine but getting to that point takes days. Anyone else feeling like this?


My large TBR pile doesn't make me immune to the continual allure of bestsellers, recommendations and new releases I know will be right up my street. I've therefore compiled this beautiful, interesting list of books I will try to get my hands on next. 

While I've always been a fiction gal, in the last year I've discovered the delight and thrill of reading a really well-researched, mind-blowing non fiction. There's a good mix of both on my wishlist. 

Without further ado, the books I'm currently coveting are:

  • 'An American Marriage' by Tayari Jones - I heard this recommended on The High Low podcast and seen it in Waterstones when I'd visit on my lunch break before the lockdown.
  • 'Exciting Times' by Naoise Dolan - I think this has either just been published or is just about to be published and I seem to be hearing it advertised everywhere. I have a particular affinity for Irish writers and think the expat angle sounds really interesting. Do you ever notice that someone can recommend a book once and it can pass you by, but when you hear it twice or three times you're suddenly like I need that?!
  • 'Feminists Don't Wear Pink' by Scarlett Curtis - I guess I'm a bit late to the party with this one. It's been on my wishlist for a while but I'm sure it's still as relevant now as it was last year. If you read my International Women's Day post back in 2017, you'll know I've been grappling with the issues covered in this book for years.
  • 'The Flatshare' by Beth O'Leary - I must be the last book lover in the world who hasn't read this. It's on the list due to the sheer hype.
  • 'Americanah' by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - I discovered Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie in second year sociology at uni and was besotted. I think I must have quoted her in every essay I ever wrote. I've been meaning to read more of her work since then. 
  • 'Girl, Woman, Other' by Bernardine Evaristo - Another book I spied on the Waterstones bestseller table recently which has also received a lot of hype.
  • 'How To Be Right In A World Gone Wrong' by James O'Brien - This sounds like a fascinating look at the deepening divisions in our society and how to bridge the gap.
  • 'How To Break Up With Your Phone' by Catherine Price - I am so aware of how much time I waste on my phone and I am really interested to read what this book has to say on the topic and any strategies it could offer for reducing screen time.
  • 'City of Girls' by Elizabeth Gilbert - As one of my absolute favourite authors and speakers, I want to absorb anything Elizabeth Gilbert has ever produced.
  • 'Invisible Women' by Caroline Criado Perez - I read the blurb of this book one day and that alone blew my mind. I've been quoting the facts since. I definitely need to read the whole thing.
  • 'When Breath Becomes Air' by Paul Kalanithi - My cousin recommended this book as the best she'd read all year and when I discovered it is also a worldwide bestseller I knew it must be great.
  • 'Why I'm No Longer Talking To White People About Race' by Reni Eddo-Lodge - I recently listened to the first episode of this book's namesake podcast and found it really interesting. My uni friend also recommended this book as a must-read late last year so it's been on the list since then.
Have you read any of these before? Which do you recommend?

Be sure to let me know what books you want to read next in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment