Sunday 9 May 2021

ffs smashes it again... this time with fake tan*

ivy plant behind 2 pump bottles and lilac velvet applicator mits

Believe it or not, we're teetering towards summer. I know, blows my mind too. Other than the one day of sun we've had here in Scotland, the rain has been near biblical.

However.

The second I get a sniff of sun I'm diving head first into the fake tan bottles. 

After four months of lockdown, being a wallflower has no appeal. It's go hard or go home.

Glitter nails? Yep.

Pink head to toe? Why not.

Straight to dark tan? Of course.

After how much I loved the body care products from ffs, I jumped at the chance to try their Deluxe Glow Tanning Set.*

What's included?

The Deluxe Glow Set contains:
  • dark self-tanning mousse
  • medium self-tanning mousse
  • velvet applicator mitt
  • back applicator (!) - revolutionary, but more on that later
  • kabuki brush
  • exfoliator mitt
The set is currently on offer for £35 for the lot which I think is unbelievable. It's usually £63 so get it quick. It'd also make a great bday gift.

Sustainable beauty and body care products

If you read my previous ffs posts, you'll know I am all about the brand's eco and ethical credentials. I am so much more conscious of sustainability than in years gone by. In fact, I think loads of people are. And that's why I'm so pleased ffs are offering an alternative to endless plastic and landfill. Here's some highlights:
  • bottles are recycled and recyclable
  • it's cruelty-free
  • there was no plastic packaging - just cardboard which went straight in the recycling bin (except the box which I'm keeping for a while as storage)
  • you just rinse the applicators to use time and time again (they're good as new with warm soapy water)
  • it's vegan - I didn't even know that was a thing but I'm here for it

The process

I exfoliated and used the ffs shaving products in the shower then used their soothe moisturiser on my legs. I use a barrier cream on my wrists/elbows/ where tan would usually cling. Then I applied around 3/4 pumps on each arm and half leg using the mitt applicator. I didn't need any more than one coat. In my experience, fake tan mousse is the best consistency and least likely to end in disaster.

I have never been able to tan my hands well. They're usually way too dark or too white. I was intrigued by the kabuki tanning brush for hands and feet blending. I think I'll need to use it a few more times to get the hang of it as my hands are still not perfect, but they're a wee bit better than usual.

Special shout out to the back tanning mitt

Something I found absolutely revolutionary was the back applicator. It's a long velvet rectangle with handles on each side that you just shimmy up and down your back for even application.

HELLO where have you been all my life?!?! 

I'm ashamed to admit I sometimes just leave parts of my back if I'm in a rush, I can't reach, or nobody else is around to help. 

But now my back is going to be the same shade as the rest of me forevermore. 

Hooray!

I will say though, it's a bit of a workout using the back applicator, but I soon got the hang of it. 

For the back applicator alone I'd pay £20.


Ok great, but is ffs fake tan actually good?

I can rave about the sustainability of a product all day long. But we all know fake tan is a difficult product to get right. Is ffs's offering any good?

In a word, yes.

I'm delighted with the results.

white arm behind purple tan bottle, above pale with freckles, below with bronze tan


I've tried the good, the bad and the ugly of fake tans and this is one of the best I've tried. ffs is just as good as Bondi Sands, my previous HG.

It smells fruity and like coconut. 

The colour is really even. In fact, usually with instant tan I'm a bit disappointed with how much of the colour washes away in the shower. But this stayed almost as dark as when I put it on.

Usually, no matter how much attention and care I put into applying tan to my elbows, it still clings. Not ffs. My elbows just look like I have a normal sun tan. Yuss!

Another surprise - my skin is really soft with it on. Usually fake tan dries out my skin badly, but I noticed how moisturised by skin felt the day after I put the tan on.

ffs have managed to avoid all the usual fake tan faux pas with this lovely set:
  • no steaks
  • no colour clinging on dry skin
  • it's not orange (or green!)
Whenever I have a tan I feel so nice and bronzed - it makes me wonder why I don't apply it all year round.

I've not yet tried the medium shade, and I'm yet to see how it fades over the next few days. But so far, very impressed!

What's your fave fake tan? I'm so buzzing I've discovered a fantastic new one that ticks all the boxes.

 *Ad - this product was kindly gifted to me by ffs. All opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment