Friday 31 July 2015

Bare Minerals Original SPF 15 Foundation

four black tubs, a brush and white tube in black case
closed black case on lilac floral background
tub with black lid off with beige powder inside next to small makeup brush on lilac floral background
My skin hasn't been as clear as it is at the moment since before the hormones kicked in like 5 years ago. It has been getting better gradually over the last year because of a combination of things: drinking more water, seeing the doctor, improving my skincare routine etc but the cherry on the cake of late has been swapping my Rimmel foundation for Bare Minerals.

I always had the belief that good skin mostly came from the inside and therefore gave little thought to what makeup I used and how it might be adversely affecting it. I bought the Bare Minerals Get Started Complexion Kit on somewhat of a whim when I was in Brighton. I had wanted to try it for a good while and there's no better time to treat yourself than when you're away. I was colour matched to Fairly Light which the girl said was just between my own skin colour and the colour of my current foundation. The foundation itself was £26 and the kit was £34 since there was a promotion on in Debenhams so there was no question- getting 5 extra products for an extra £9 wasn't something I was going to turn down. 

In the kit you get: Prime Time Foundation Primer, Original SPF 15 Foundation, Matte SPF 15 Foundation, Warmth All-Over Face Color, Mineral Veil Finishing Powder and the Face Brush for application. I haven't yet given each one of these a proper test run although when I did try them I found that with the bronzer, less is definitely more. I plan to write a more detailed review of the primer alongside some others I've been trying lately.

The Original Foundation is the star of the kit. I didn't think I would ever consider using a powder foundation because it just seems like it wouldn't offer any coverage but I was completely wrong. After applying primer and concealer, I tap about half a pea size amount of product into the lid, swirl and tap the brush and then buff it into my skin. The girl at the counter explained this to me but there are also videos on the Bare Minerals website which demonstrate. It doesn't need blended and is invisible on the skin but provides good coverage. What's more, because its mineral, it allows the skin to breathe which in my opinion is the reason my skin is so great at the moment. I then use Rimmel Powder over the top - out of habit more than anything. It lasts a good few hours but definitely needs a primer and setting to see it through the whole day (especially if you're out and about/ working). As a powder, this is very buildable and you can just apply until you're happy with the amount of coverage. On a day to day basis, 1/2 layers is enough for me - especially since my skin is improving so rapidly with use.

Admittedly, this foundation does cost a lot more than my Rimmel Lasting Finish which I've used for years. While I'll still be keeping a bottle of that to hand, Bare Minerals is well worth the price. Not only does it work well as a foundation, it actually improves the skin. I only wish I'd started using it sooner.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds like a lovely kit! I'm glad your skin has been better! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Me too I literally never thought it'd clear up xx

      Delete