Sunday 11 November 2012

Review | NYC Showtime Waterproof Mascara

blue tube with silver writing 'Showtime' on white shelf
straight thin mascara brush
close up of girl's face with her eyes closed
girls face with hair up with mascara on eyelashes
close up of green brown eye with long mascara coated lashes
I picked up NYC Showtime Waterproof Mascara in Superdrug for £1.99 as a kind of 'you will do until I find something better product' after my L'Oreal Telescopic ended smudging to the top of my cheekbones after only a few hours wear. I thought either it had a very short prime time or I needed something a little (or a lot) more long wearing. Without the £10.99 price tag (ouch!)

I was pretty much bang on the money with my first impression. This mascara is pretty much your average, not bad, not great product. The packaging is admittedly quite nice for how much it was. So far the writing has stayed intact and everything has stuck where it should be (classic signs of cheap packaging). The wand is pretty standard; straight, strong and brush-like without much flexibility or movement (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). The formula is quite dry which I like as I don't end up with mascara on my lid from blinking too quickly, yet it isn't too dry that it flakes. It definitely lives up to it claim of being waterproof, as it doesn't budge from my lashes even after a day at school (the ultimate test) and, what is most impressive, is that it is actually just as easy as a normal mascara to remove! No red eyes or endless scrubbing. 

However, it really doesn't do anything amazing for my lashes. It gives them a bit of definition, and can look decent if you apply 3 or so coats (I'm sorry, but who has time for that?) but it doesn't volumize or lengthen. For a natural, day to day, long wearing, affordable mascara, this is good. But, if you are looking for a bit of oomph- this isn't the product for you. 

I am still searching for a mascara that ticks all the boxes, and I now wonder whether I will need to wear a waterproof one all the time or whether there was just some weird smudging thing going on with my Telescopic.

Have you tried this mascara? Which one would you recommend?
pink and green floral text with thin brown stroke outline reading 'Julz'


6 comments:

  1. I have this and think it is rubbish, and it is not even good at resisting water! I love the Collection Skyscraper Mascara. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have been meaning to try that- I think I'll pick it up next time I'm in Boots! xx

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried this yet. My favourite is the curl lash mascara from natural collection which is for £1.99 and amazing!
    Hareem xx
    http://iheartmexo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't recommend you get it- I think others are better! Ooh I'll have to try that :) xx

      Delete
  3. Keеp this gοing ρlease, gгeat job!
    Feel free to visit my blog ; friendbook.com.br

    ReplyDelete